Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2007 23:43:33 +1030
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Michael M. Press" <deathjestr@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: USB drive is a CDROM drive and is not writable

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 02:18 pm, Michael M. Press wrote:
> I have a 2 gigabyte USB memory stick from made by PNY. When I
> plug it in, I get the following:
>
> umass0: vendor 0x0930 USB Flash Memory, rev 2.00/2.00, addr 2
> da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da0: < USB Flash Memory 6.50> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0
> device da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
> da0: 1901MB (3894975 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 242C)
> cd1 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 1
> cd1: < USB Flash Memory 6.50> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
> cd1: 40.000MB/s transfers
> cd1: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium
> not present
>
> I want to be able to mount the device read-write, so I use the
> following command:
>
> mount -t cd9660 -o rw /dev/cd1 /media/flashdrv

You cannot mount even a conventional CD drive as a writable
cd9660 filesystem. Creating a cd9660 fs is normally a one hit
prossess in which the fs is created fully populated and can't
then normally be changed except on RW media by overwriting the
entire fs.

I don't know the device you are using but would expect that you
can write a populated cd9660 file system directly using cdrecord
(or perhaps burncd) without attempting to mount; just as you
would on a conventional ATAPI or SCSII CD drive.

Malcolm