Date:      Fri, 07 May 2004 17:19:09 +0400
From:      Roman Kurakin <rik@cronyx.ru>
To:        Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@cell.sick.ru>
Cc:        Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
Subject:   Re: FrameRelay support for cx/ctau adapters

Gleb Smirnoff wrote:

>On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 04:31:08PM +0400, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
>D> GS> FreeBSD has support for FR with help of nodes ng_frame_relay and ng_lmi. This
>D> GS> support is hardware independent. And it works perfectly with cronyx adapters.
>D> GS> What is a reason for merging hardware specific support from old cronyx driver into
>D> GS> base system?
>D>
>D> Short answer: keep POLA.
>D>
>D> Longer answer: to keep 4.x systems with _existing_ fr setup up to date,
>D> non-intuitive and non-atomic patches are now required.
>D>
>D> BTW: we have more than one perfectly (for particular meaning of 'perfect', os
>D> course ;-) working firewall systems, more than on (3) ppp inplementations, and
>D> more than one software raid implementation. I do not see any harm in existing
>D> another (working!) implementation for fr then, especially when it does so
>D> little bloat to the code base.
>
>  From the point of FreeBSD cronyx driver appeared 1 month ago, and was not
>supported before.

By the way take a look at
cvs update -r 1.1.1.2 if_spppsubr.c
15 May 1997 14:48:46
Support for FR was in FreeBSD's sppp since 15 May, but only on vendor
branch :-(
I can't say why it was only there. I don't know all history, but I may
ask Sergey
Vakulenko about those days if some one wants to know. I become maintainer of
this code a few years later.

I there is no serious objections, I can commit this part of our sppp.
And personaly I prefer
to do so.

rik