Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 1995 17:28:19 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Rich Scott <rxscot2@lookout.ecte.uswc.uswest.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   where to buy NCR PCI-SCSI controllers?

I'm looking at upgrading my system to a Pentium-based system, and am
interested in the Tyan Titan III motherboard, with an NCRc8xx PCI-SCSI
controller.

I have three questions:

 1) What is the latest model number of the NCR controllers? I've seen
 mention of the NCRc825, but have yet to find any vendors (i.e. in
 "Computer Shopper") that have that model. I understand the 810 works
 very well, but am curious about the 825, or if there are any newer models
 that supercede the 810. I've only got references to two vendors that
 carry the NCRc810 at all;  does anybody have any vendor recommendations?

 2) ASUS apparently packages the 810 chip in a PCI SCSI controller of their
 own;  I've read that their controller card will only work in their boards.
 Is this true, so should I get an NCR card?

 3) Is anybody running FreeBSD 2.x on a Tyan motherboard? Should I look
 at other motherboards instead? (I'll be going directly to 2.1 when it
 is released.)

Please send e-mail directly to me. I'll summarize to the list if there's
enough interest. Thanks for your help.

 =rich

--
Rich Scott	DMP/MAE 	USWest Technologies, Denver, CO
<rxscot2@lookout.ecte.uswc.uswest.com>