Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 22:14:12 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Severe problems with softupdates.

On Thursday, 11 November 1999 at 20:11:49 +0000, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm still trying to recover my laptop from a really severe filesystem
> crash using softupdates.  The machine hung due to a problem with
> power managment so it needed a reboot.  Now fsck won't clean up without
> complaining bitterly about 'softupdate' problems, ultimately coming to
> a halt with a 'can't find inode XXXX' message.  I've confirmed with fsdb
> that the inode in question does exist, so why is fsck complaining?  Clearing
> the inode in question allows fsck to proceed, and ultimately land on another
> inode that exists, but it "can't find".
>
> I've searched the lists and this message appear to reference the same
> problem:
>
> Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 01:58:31 -0400 (EDT)
> From:      "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <marcus@miami.edu>
> To:        Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk>
> Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject:   Re: How to fix cant load /kernel ???? Also soft updates fs corruption.
>
> I'm running -current; I don't know what Mark was running.
>
> Kirk mentioned that he was confident that softupdates was 'safe', but I've
> had files (from a previous crash - recovered from) in lost+found that I
> didn't touch, and no-way should have become disconnected from the file
> system - they weren't even in buffercache at the time of the crash.
>
> I believe that Brian has also had the same problems (at FreeBSDCon).
>
> Can people put their hands up if they believe that they've experienced this
> so that we can determine whether there's a deeper softupdates problem that
> we're ignoring on faith?

Hmm.  I've had something similar recently, also running -CURRENT.  I
still need to clean out the lost+found directory, but many of the
files hadn't been touched for months.  I think that the problem was
that the directory in which they were got trashed, so the files could
no longer be found via the directory tree.  This was the worst file
system crash I have had in the 8 years I have been running BSD.

This was on a laptop (Dell Latitude).  From your mention of power
management, it sounds like you might have had your problems on a
laptop as well.

> Also if anyone knows how to recover from it I'd be very grateful to know.
> My /usr partition is uncleanable (although I can 'mount -f' it!! nasty!!).

Hmm.  I suppose the answer is still "one error at a time".  There are
plenty of bugs in fsck, and it's quite possible one or more of them
are ganging up with your already damaged file system.

Greg