Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:14:46 +0100
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@incunabulum.net>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>,  FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: alpm(4) I/O range is claimed by ACPI

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> Might mention this to jhb@ to see if it's related to the SMBus changes
> made 1.5 years ago:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/pci/alpm.c

Thanks for the pointers. The other reports sound like duplicate reports
of the same issue.

I'm not sure that backing out the last change is going to help. The BIOS
has generally set up the I/O resource before FreeBSD boots; the
bus_set_resource() call might only be useful in those cases where that
hasn't happened.
In any event, in alpm_attach(), the rman is going to notice that the bus
space is already allocated by acpi(4), and will balk.

I'm sure there has been some kind of override mechanism in place for
certain other drivers; but they seem to boil down to using an ACPI
attachment of some kind, which won't work here as alpm(4) is a PCI
function and needs to attach to the pcib parent.

It would be really, really useful to have working SMBus drivers right
now on a machine I can actually touch...

cheers
BMS