Date:      Tue, 23 Aug 2011 13:58:08 +0200
From:      Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To:        Herr Virek <josefvirek@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: V440 with 1.593GHz CPU has scsi errors on LSILogic 1030 Ultra4 controller

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 03:57:45PM -0700, Herr Virek wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have a four cpu V440 running current well for a while now.
>
> Tried to install on another V440 with this CPU and I have scsi errors
> until panic when booting off CD or a hard drive with 8.2 installed
>
> Has anyone seen issues with this particular CPU?
>
> http://www.sunshack.org/data/sh/2.1.8/infoserver.central/data/syshbk/Devices/System_Board/SYSBD_SunFireV440_CPU.html#6788
>
> I've swapped disks and optical drives a few times.
>
> S10 U8 seems OK so I'm not sure where to start on this one. I've also
> tried with auto-boot? false and true.

My V440 suffers from the same symptom at times. In that case a
probe-scsi-all in the PROM boot monitor doesn't report the disk
either or acts up in odd ways though, so I think this is due to
a defective SCSI backplane rather than an OS issue, especially
since these disks just work fine in another machine. If that
happens shuffling around the disks within the V440 for a while
typically helps.
If Solaris really doesn't have problems with this machine the
only other thing I can think of is that 9.0-CURRENT as well as
8.2-STABLE but not 8.2-RELEASE have a workaround which disables
PCI bus parking if a Cassini device is present as these can
cause bus hangs if bus parking is enabled. This workaround
(which is based on information gleaned from the OpenSolaris
source) is intended for V480 with defective centerplanes but
might also help V440.

Marius