Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 13:13:22 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>, Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Motif goes open source

In message <391FDB25.D7FB808F@newsguy.com>, "Daniel C. Sobral" writes:
>Martin Cracauer wrote:
>>
>> In <4.3.1.2.20000515080753.00abfd70@gid.co.uk>, Bob Bishop wrote:
>> > "The Open Group, a vendor and technology-neutral consortium dedicated to
>> > enterprise integration, announced today that it is releasing the source
>> > code of Motif, using a public license, to the Open Source community."
>> >
>> > Full details at http://www.opengroup.org/openmotif
>>
>> The license seems to make it quite useless.
>> http://www.opengroup.org/openmotif/license/
>
>Huh? The license makes it quite useful, IMHO.

I think so too.

Since X11 is an optional (3rd party even) component of FreeBSD,
the license on Motif is not really a big issue: it will always be
a port in FreeBSD, it will not be part of the base system.

We have other ports with far weirder licenses.

Only too bad it took them 10 years to realize what the key to a
success in the UNIX world is :-(

FreeBSD coreteam member | BSD since 4.3-tahoe