Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 2010 18:48:17 +0100
From:      Harald Weis <hawei@free.fr>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux_base-f10 install problem

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 09:57:28AM +0100, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> On Monday 08 November 2010 22:47:03 Harald Weis wrote:

> >> That's the problem then, it should be /compat/linux. Somewhere PREFIX
> >> is set to /usr/local. Maybe in /etc/make.conf?
> >
> > No, make.conf is ok.
> > The Makefile includes /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk and this (very big)
> > file says:
> >
> > .if defined(USE_LINUX_PREFIX)
> > PREFIX?=                ${LINUXBASE}
> > NO_MTREE=               yes
> > .else
> > PREFIX?=                ${LOCALBASE}
> > .endif
> >
> > That means that PREFIX should be set to /compat/linux !
> > It would be nice if the bug were in bsd.port.mk .
> > But then I can't believe that I am the only person in the world
> > having this problem. And it seems that I am indeed quite alone.
> > Strange, very strange. Could it be a virus in the end ?
>
> ?= means it will only be set if it doesn't have a value yet. So you
> could change that into = and see if 'make -V PREFIX' produces the
> correct output then. If it does you know PREFIX is defined before.
> If it doesn't, it must be overwritten after those lines (or the lines
> didn't execute at all). So you could try something like this:
>
> .if defined(USE_LINUX_PREFIX)
> PREFIX=                ${LINUXBASE}
> NO_MTREE=               yes
> ITWORKS=                yes
> .else
> PREFIX?=                ${LOCALBASE}
> ITWORKS=                no
> .endif
>
> make -V PREFIX -V ITWORKS

/compat/linux
yes

Following this trial, I've quickly found the responsible line
in $HOME/.cshrc :
setenv	PREFIX	/usr/local

No doubt that this is the reason for all my flash plugin trouble since
the time I added this line (less than two years ago), because I use to
go to root with calife(1) from the very beginning, I find it very
comfortable. But in this case it has cost a lot of time. But I've
learned a lot as well...
I am sure there is no need to confirm the solution of the "mystery".

Thank you very much for your great and patient help.

Best regards,
Harald Weis