Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 12:01:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      X Philius <xphilius@yahoo.com>
To:        jslivko@4evermail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best upgrade path from 4.1 Release to 4.4 Release, via CVsu

Jonathon,
Thanks for the reply. I did follow up on Stan's answer (which was to upgrade to 4.2 Release first,
and then upgrade to 4.4) and I made it through the 'make buildworld' stage on my develompent
machine with no stops. However this kind of defeats the purpose of getting my real server upgraded
while spending as little time as possible in the closet by the router ;-) since I would have to
wait through a build from 4.2 to 4.4, while sitting on boxes of copier paper. I liked the idea of
upgrading via CVsup, since you can do most of the work remotely and only have to drop into single
user for the last few steps. Your reply brings up two questions for me.

1. Why not just upgrade to 4.4 R via binaries using sysinstall? Both my machines boot fine off of
my 4.1 CD's, so I can boot off the CD and upgrade that way. I am trying to learn how to do it the
geek way, via source etc, so I can follow the security upgrades better, but since I have hit a
road block, why not just use the installer?

2. Considering I am not a developer, is there a good reason to start tracking 4.4 stable yet? I
was planning on upgrading to 4.4 Release and then doing the minimum to follow up on security
upgrades and patches. Since our beloved OS is so damn stable, I'd rather concentrate on using my
server, then spending a lot of time keeping up with the very latest.

Thanks much!
Jason