Date:      Tue, 2 Aug 2016 16:20:31 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <wlosh@bsdimp.com>
To:        Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
Cc:        Michel Kohanim <michel@universal-devices.com>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Paid Support for iMX6 Port

> On Aug 2, 2016, at 3:11 PM, Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
>>> 5.       Support for booting from NAND flash or eMMC
>> No, there is no support at this time. There is basic NAND support on
>> one of the chips, but it has proven to be too deficient to be of much
>> use (single bit parity, no use of hardware ECC and other major
>> deficiencies).
> Sorry, even if there was a driver for it, there is no Filesystem
> designed to use eMMC or NAND directly. My understanding is typically
> the flash controller provides a standardized SATA path for accessing
> the NAND as if it's a disk (yet another developer make speak more to
> this). GNU/Linux equivalent is yaffs or jfs2 (I think).

nandfs will work on NAND directly, but needs lots of work.

ufs works fine on eMMC since the eMMC parts do wear leveling
in the part. It isn=E2=80=99t designed specifically for that, but =
thousands
of systems are running ufs on SD cards just fine and eMMC is
the same thing (but with different low-level commands).

Warner