Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 23:14:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   bsd.port.mk deficiency?

Hi fellow porters. With my recent submissions of the irc/scrollz and devel/qtk,
I'm pondering whether bsd.port.mk needs another mechanism - namely, one where
the port is marked as having a compressed distfile that does not contain a
tarball, but rather the port's only file.

Since I am not (yet) fully able to understand all the inner workings of
bsd.port.mk, I can't offer a patch that would work for sure, only a method.

If the distfile contains no tarball, the porter can define NO_TAR to mean the
file to which the uncompressed distfile should be redirected.
EXTRACT_AFTER_ARGS in particular would be redefined as: "> ${NO_TAR}".

For example, if my port's distfile goes by the name abc-1.24.bz2, I would set

NO_TAR=         abc-1.24

The result: bsd.port.mk redefines EXTRACT_AFTER_ARGS as above, makes the
${WRKSRC} to equal ${WRKDIR}/${DISTNAME} (i.e., makes that dir in addition to
the ${WRKDIR}.), and extracts the file to ${WRKSRC}/${NO_TAR}.

It would then be up to the porter to put in an additional target (do-install)
that indicates whether this file is a script or a program (or even a data
file.), through ${INSTALL_*}.

The only problem I foresee with the method I've stated above is where a port
has multiple distfiles. I am currently at a loss to offer a solution for that,
but I'm sure somebody else can figure that one out. :-)

Sorry if I sounded like I was rambling here. I tend to do that when I'm
confused.. };>

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>