Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 09:26:57 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Joseph Jacobson <jacobson@pobox.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why isn't localhost used by talk?

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 11:01:59PM -0400, Joseph Jacobson wrote:

> Local to local talk doesn't work if the hostname for the box doesn't
> match any an ip on any interface.  Although this sounds wierd, consider
> a non-dedicated ppp link.  Although you can get around this problem with
> 'talk user@localhost', POLA would say talk should default to localhost.
> I couldn't think of any good reason why this shouldn't be the case.

You may be able to work around this by insuring that your hostname maps
to the loop back address in your hosts file.  I did that to get apache
to start up on my laptop when there are no network interfaces.  My host
name is minya and I've got the following entry in my hosts file:

127.0.0.1               minya. minya localhost

-- Brooks