Date:      Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:26:51 -0500
From:      "J. Porter Clark" <jpc@suespammers.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quality of FreeBSD

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 02:30:49PM +0100, Joao Barros wrote:

> I dual boot between XP and FreeBSD and even use VMWare to boot FreeBSD
> with the real partition. Nice having FreeBSD compiling something in
> the background while using XP :)

That's pretty cool...

> That is a keyboard problem (the pointer device in the keyboard) I had
> one exchanged on this C840 and 2 others on a C610.

I'll pass that on to the maintenance guy.  This is an outsourced
(i.e., rented) machine.  (They'd be appalled to know that it
runs any non-Microsoft software.  Don't nobody tell!!!)

> I *think* I tested networking and attached storage with firewire.
> If you care to email me with your problems I can try see if it happens
> to me too.

Because the hard drive is "only" 20 GB, I have an external drive
connected to the IEEE 1394 port.  (The USB ports on this laptop
are unacceptably pokey.)  Most of the problems are probably
related to my attempts at hot-plugging (so to speak) this
interface.  The first time I connect the drive up to the box,
I get this sort of thing:

  firewire0: New S400 device ID:0090a95000006600
  da0 at sbp0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
  kernel: da0: <WDC FireWire/USB2.0 0417> Fixed Simplified Direct Access SCSI-4 device
  kernel: da0: 50.000MB/s transfers
  kernel: da0: 238475MB (488397168 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 30401C)
  fwohci0: BUS reset
  fwohci0: node_id=0xc000ffc0, gen=2, CYCLEMASTER mode
  kernel: firewire0: 1 nodes, maxhop <= 0, cable IRM = 0 (me)
  kernel: firewire0: bus manager 0 (me)

I can then mount a partition from the drive:

  mount /dev/da0s2d ~/ext_bsd

Sometimes I have a problem--and I can't duplicate it right
now--in that if I umount the drive, then remove the plug, then
reinsert it, I can't remount it immediately.  Attempting to
mount the drive will block for a few minutes.  If I wait several
minutes, it will remount immediately, or I can speed that up by
removing and reinserting the plug a second time, which is what I
usually do.

The main problem I have is possibly related to an intermittent
connection...which has been aggravated by the many insertions
and reinsertions.  Sometimes, out of the blue, I'll get an error
like this:

  kernel: Interrupt storm detected on "irq11: nvidia0 cbb*"; throttling interrupt source
  kernel: fwohci0: BUS reset

It's usually precipitated by my moving the laptop off my lap
onto a table or otherwise wiggling the cable, which seems to
be unpredictably sensitive.  (It never happens if there is no
I/O going on at the time.)  I have no idea why it mentions the
nvidia0 device.

When this happens, any I/O on the Firewire drive will hang
indefinitely.  I can't fix it at that point; about all I can do
is reboot. "fwcontrol -r" doesn't help any.  If I reboot the
system, I always have problems syncing it; it complains about
unwritten buffers or vnodes, and eventually I have to manually
reset it.  When I come back up, I have fsck problems not only
with the Firewire partitions but also /usr and others.

You can say that I created the problem myself by manhandling the
little plug or by even trying to insert it and remove it "hot."
(Nobody said I could, nobody said I couldn't.)  But I can do
this with Windows XP with no problems.  I also don't have any
problems caused by wiggling the apparently very sensitive cable
with XP.  I also didn't have the wiggling-cable problem under
4.X, although it's possible that mechanical degradation since
that time is at fault.  (The hanging mount problem did occur
under 4.X.)  I haven't posted this as a bug report because (a) I
haven't had much luck with bug reports <sniff> and (b) I'm sure
the answer would be "fix your hardware."

--
J. Porter Clark      <jpc@suespammers.org>