Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 17:29:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU (Veggy Vinny)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/bin/passwd and finger output

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Veggy Vinny had
to walk into mine and say:

> 	A few days ago, I reported that the latest -current's
> /usr/bin/passwd won't work for people not in the wheel group.   Today
> with the latest -current build, the same thing still happens:
>
> dennis@mercury [1:45pm][~] >> passwd
> passwd: Permission denied
> dennis@mercury [1:45pm][~] >> dir /usr/bin/passwd
> -r-sr-xr-x  2 root  bin  32768 Jul 19 12:45 /usr/bin/passwd
> dennis@mercury [1:45pm][~] >>

How about trying 'which passwd' and seeing what it returns? How
about trying to run /usr/bin/passwd explicitly (with the full path)?
You sure you don't have a /usr/local/bin/passwd or a cutsey alias
hidden away somewhere?

> 	This is happening on 4 different machines so it's not a configuration
> issue.  Is there a work around this?

Somebody else out there please test this. I don't have a -current box
handy with which to test it myself (I'll try it on my 2.1 box tonight). I
strongly suspect that it is some sort of configuration error, albeit a
bizarre one. I suspect this mainly because nobody else has reported
having the same trouble.

> 	Also, the finger output seems to be really different than the
> previous one atleast for the date and time.
>
> Login: dennis                           Name: Dennis Pang
> Directory: /home/dennis                 Shell: /usr/local/bin/tcsh
> Last login 07/16/96 10:01:1 (PDT) on ttyp3 from 206.28.134.6
> New mail received 07/17/96 21:54:4  (PDT)
>      Unread since 07/16/96 10:01:2  (PDT)
> No Plan.
>
> Vince

Somebody hacked a bit on the stdtime stuff in libc recently and I
think there were some problems (times reported by ls were a little
busted too, apparently). You may have to sup again and rebuild libc.

-Bill

 "If you're ever in trouble, go to the CTR. Ask for Bill. He will help you."