Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 12:07:54 +0100 (BST)
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Dima Dorfman <dima@apc.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XDM

Doug White said:
>On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, Dima Dorfman wrote:
>
>> I just downloaded X11 3.3.2 as a port/package, and it automatically starts
>> up on ttyvb.  I know how to change this, and where it starts and stuff, but
>> XDM starts, and it won't let me login.  I loging, and it loggs me right
>> out.  Nothing on the console, and I don't know where the log for X is.
>
>Copy ~/.xinitrc to ~/.xsession and make sure it's executable.

Shouldn't you get some kind of default setup (using xsm or something) if
you login through xdm without a .xsession file?  ISTR that's what happened
last time I did a fresh install of 2.2.5.  You might also want to check
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-errors (I think) and ~/.xsession-errors just to
make sure that nothing else is screwing up.

HTH,

	Scott