Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 17:35:48 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Brian McDonald <brian@lustygrapes.net>
Cc:        Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslogd blocking => can't su to root

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 11:30:54AM -0500, Brian McDonald wrote:
> I've seen this on 4.1-RELEASE boxes as well.  Was hoping it would just go
> away when I upgrade them to 4.5.  I noticed it when it blocked other
> processes waiting for syslog, such as named.

To fix this there we'd have to decide what should happen when syslogd
finds that some destination for messages becomes blocking. Syslogd
could just drop messages which would cause blocking. Alternatively,
syslogd could allow a certain amount of backup for which it would
buffer.

Also, it is bad that syslogd can stop other processes by not reading
from its socket - it's possible we should change syslog(3) to timeout
or not to block.

Have you noticed what causes your systlogd to get backed up?  I've
never seen it happen on any of the machines I look after, so maybe
you have some unusual configuration which makes you prone to it?

	David.