Date:      Sat, 7 Apr 2018 11:55:33 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Pavel Timofeev <timp87@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports-list freebsd <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: tilix port would be great

On Sat, Apr 7, 2018 at 3:43 AM, Pavel Timofeev <timp87@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, everyone.
>
> I would like to ask if anybody interested and could make a port for
> such a great tiling terminal for Gnome3?
> https://github.com/gnunn1/tilix

Since I don't run Gnome3 and don't care for tiling, I'm not likely to do
it, but you might give it a shot, yourself. Most, but not all, ports are
pretty easy. The Porters Handbook
<https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook>; is
very readable and, if the port does not require any oddball tricks, is not
hard. It requires no real coding, but a reasonable familiarity with make
and shell scripting. I've done several ports over the past two decades and
am only passable in make and pretty weak in shell. It was not a problem.

Look closely at the sections on  working with github and Gnome. github, in
particular, is weird, but not really difficult. Gnome is less weird, but
has specialized make scripts that are called with USES statements.

If you do try it, you can generally find that others are willing to help
out while you learn the ins and outs. Since this is a Gnome port, you might
find the gnome@ mail list more useful.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com