Date:      Fri, 04 Apr 2008 10:51:47 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble with IPFW or TCP?

--------------enig856CFB6FE3BCEC37C20C2631

Julian Elischer wrote:
> Ivan Voras wrote:

>> Not according to the ipfw(8) manual:
>>
>> """
>>      These dynamic rules, which have a limited lifetime, are checked
>> at the
>>      first occurrence of a check-state, keep-state or limit rule, and
>> are typ-
>>      ically used to open the firewall on-demand to legitimate traffic
>> only.
>>      See the STATEFUL FIREWALL and EXAMPLES Sections below for more
>> informa-
>>      tion on the stateful behaviour of ipfw.
>> """
>>
>> I read this to mean the dynamic rules are checked at rule #5000 from
>> the above list. Is there an advantage to having an explicit
>> check-state rule in simple rulesets like this one?
>=20
> the docs are wrong then I think.

Ok, but:
- The connections work. If keep-states don't include implicit
check-state somewhere, the behaviour should be as if there's no
"keep-state" option to the rules, i.e. only the "setup" (syn,!ack)
packet would pass, which would prevent TCP connections to happen (from
experience I know that omitting keep-state works just like that).
- The same behaviour works on other machines (no explicit check-state)
ranging from 5.x to 7-STABLE.
- I've been using ipfw this way since FreeBSD 4.4 or something like
that, without described problems. The other machine with 7.x also
doesn't have check-state and works.