Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 2003 15:48:58 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Brian Astill <bastill@adam.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade vs. multiple versions of packages

On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 03:01:43PM +1030, Brian Astill wrote:

> That upgrade is a doozie.  Been there, done that!
> rm -fr qt2 is (I think) the correct thing to do  (someone else on the
> list will correct me).
> Then port kde3.
>
> qt2 and qt3 will NOT live comfortably together.  So delete qt2 and all
> the apps dependent on it (that includes kde2 and its apps).
> The kde3 port will look for the version of qt it needs, fail to find it,
> and fetch it for you.  Ain't that nice?
>
> Do get confirmation of that rm command I listed, though.

Brian,

I think my problem was believing that portupgrade was smarter than it
actually is... it's certainly way smarter than me though :-)

Looks like my mistake was not completely purging the old qt2/kde2 before I
started upgrading things.  I'll blow away the Frankenstein's Monster
install I have now and try again from a clean start.

I'd still love to know if that extra +CONTENTS file is good for anything
though...

Thanks,

	Scott