Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 13:44:19 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Scanning in video

In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.980520094945.29314I-100000@terra> you wrote:
> well, i'm supposed to know how to do this, but I don't. I need a way to
> grab video frames from either D1 or similar format under remote control.
> I need to be able to control it a frame at a time. Any hints on cards
> that do this, and freebsd drivers to control them?

What's your budget?  8-) Do you want uncompressed images?  The only
support I know of for FreeBSD in this case is with a Pluto Space
recorder.  It will record full uncompressed D1 to it's internal
array and spit out the data in one of 5 formats over SMB, NFS, or
AFS.  It can also write modified images in any of those formats
back to it's media for VTR/DDR type playout.  Does audio too.

The box runs FreeBSD, so you can write whatever programs you want to
run on the box.  Base price is ~25k for 30min of video capacity.
It may be a little pricy for what you want, but it is a FreeBSD solution!
8-)

www.plutotech.com

--
Justin