Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2007 22:02:28 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Walter Ian Kaye <freebsd-org@natural-innovations.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: qpopper-4.0.9_1

On Oct 16, 2007, at 04:52, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to [mostly] follow instructions at <http://www.vanemery.com/
> Protocols/POP/qpopper-bsd-howto.html>
> but I don't know if ./configure overrides the port's "Options"
> screen or vice versa, so I don't know if I turned things on or off.
>
> I did
>
> CONFIGURE_ENV=  LIBS="-lcrypt -lmd -lutil -L${LOCALBASE}/lib" \
>                 OS_DEFS="-DSETPROCTITLE ${OS_DEFS}"
>                 --without-gdbm \
>                 --enable-keep-temp-drop \
>                 --disable-update-abort \
>                 --enable-bulletins=/var/spool/bulls \
>                 --enable-log-login \
>                 --enable-new-bulls=3 \
>                 --enable-shy \
>                 --enable-timing \
>                 --enable-log-facility=LOG_MAIL \
>                 --with-openssl=/usr/bin/openssl \
>                 --with-pam=pop3
>
> and then the Options screen
>
>  .--------------------------------------------------------------------
> .
>  |                   Options for qpopper
> 4.0.9_1                      |
>
> | .----------------------------------------------------------------. |
>  | | [ ] APOP_ONLY        build with APOP authentication only
> | |
>  | | [X] APOP             build with APOP
> | |
>  | | [ ] DOCUMENTATION    install pdf documentation
> | |
>  | | [ ] DRAC             build with Dynamic Relay Authorization
> | |
>  | | [ ] FULL_POPD_DEBUG  build with more verbose debugging
> | |
>  | | [X] PAM              build with PAM authentication
> | |
>  | | [ ] POPPASSD         build the poppassd daemon
> | |
>  | | [X] QPOPAUTH_SETUID  install qpopauth setuid to pop user
> | |
>  | | [ ] SAMPLE_POPUSERS  build a default reject file
> | |
>  | | [X] SHY_ENABLED      hide qpopper version in POP3 banner
> | |
>  | | [X] SSL              build with SSL/TLS support
> | |
>  | | [ ] STANDALONE_MODE  build qpopper to be run without inetd
> | |
>  | | [X] U_OPTION         include support for user .qpopper-options
> | |
>  | |
> | |
>  | |
> | |
>  +-+----------------------------------------------------------------
> +-+
>  |                       [  OK  ]
> Cancel                        |
>
> `--------------------------------------------------------------------'
>
> I am trying to set it up so that port 110 requires APOP/AUTH (that
> works) and port 995 allows USER (clear-text-password) via SSL
> (fails; asks for APOP/AUTH, despite 'set' command in config file).

I believe to do what you want will require two instatiations of
qpopper with different configuration files.  The first one is used on
port 110 and has APOP enabled.  The second on is on port 995 and has
APOP disabled.  However, you may also have to have a separate binary
for the second one that has APOP not compiled in.  I had a difficult
time getting rid of the APOP messages as we do not use APOP at all.
I seem to recall that turning it off in the configuration file
worked, but every connection logged a couple of APOP error messages.