Date:      Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:44:33 -0500
From:      Chris O'Dell <odellcs04@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FireFox is beeping at me! a question

Alex,
i am in a bind and i was doing some research on the internet when i
found your post about firefox beeping.  you sound extremely
knowledgeable, but i don't understand what you were talking about when
you made this post.  here's a link to the post

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-May/086951.html

here's what the original user wrote and your response:

>    I'm having an issue where 'FireFox 1.0.3' on 'FreeBSD 5.3-Release'=20
> is beeping at me when I start, use and close it. By use, I mean doing=20
> standard tasks inside of it, such as Google'ing and general surfing of=20
> the internet. I've tried 'xset b off', but the sound is still present?

Did you compile the port with debugging on?  Mozilla beeps like a=20
lunatic when it's compiled with debugging.  Have a look at=20
/var/db/ports/firefox/options and see if there is a line like=20
"WITH_DEBUG=3Dtrue".

If there is, then delete /var/db/ports/firefox/options.  Go to=20
/usr/ports/www/firefox and do a make.  This time do not turn debugging=20
on when asked to pick options!.  Then "make deinstall; make reinstall".

--Alex

here's the issue i'm having.  i just installed a new video card and
firefox has decided to start making weird beeping and almost hissing
noises when i have an audio application running.  for example, i use
winamp and firefox with tabbed browsing and whenever i select another
tab, it makes an annoying beep.  do you have any suggestions and can
you explain what you originally wrote?!?  thanks for your help

Chris