Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 1995 11:23:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      jake@ibmPCUG.CO.UK
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        tsai@server.keck.lmu.edu, questions@FreeBSD.org, jake@ibmPCUG.CO.UK
Subject:   Re: Adaptec PCI SCSI Controller

> > jake@ibmPCUG.CO.UK tells me that he tried to booting with 950210-SNAP, but the
> > adapter does not seem to boot all the time.  Maybe you can ask him about it.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Yao-Wen Stephen Tsai 2/16/95

> I should have a new version of the drive availible sometime this weekend.
> I will contact both of you then.

Thanks.

FYI there do seem to be 2 hurdles in the boot procedure. (using an
Adaptec 2940)

Sometimes, the hanging occurs immediately after the
"settle" message.

And at other times, it pauses for the 15 seconds at "settle" but
then hangs after the next 2 lines:

	ahc0 targ 0 lun 0: type 0(direct) fixed SCSI2
	ahc0 targ 0 lun 0: <CONNER   CFP2107S   2.14GB2847>

the same behaviour also occurs with a Micropolis 2117 1.7GB drive

If the sd0 line containing the drive geometry is displayed then I know
it is a successful boot.

Successful boots are few and far between, but when it works, it works!

Regards,
Jake Dias
PC User Group