Date:      Wed, 03 Jan 1996 16:01:06 +0530
From:      A JOSEPH KOSHY <koshy@india.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Demand loading (Re: FreeBSD, Zappa & PCI)

>>>>> JW == Joerg Wunsch <<<<<

jw> needed only once (at boot time) or rarely (diagnostics code), thus
jw> freeing up valuable physical memory for more important things.

Well, it would be nice to be able to delay loading a driver till needed.
Even nicer would be the ability to unload and reload a driver on the fly.

This would allow customers to update portions of the kernel without
having to bring the system down, (well, in theory, anyway :)).

If I remember right Unixware had the ability to auto-unload an driver
which had been inactive for a while, freeing up memory and kernel
resources.  Not so sure about SCO or Solaris ...

Can someone explain why we need ELF or its equivalent for this
to be feasible?

Koshy