Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 06:26:55 -0700
From:      Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>
To:        "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycor@home.com>
Cc:        Ben Lovett <blovett@darkstar.sandi.net>, High Voltage <zapper@idsmail.com>, FreeBSD-Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: @Home Connect.

Actually I disagree with Ben. The reaoning behind it is if they do
decide to implement their DHCP proper you will break things and cause
undo attention. I have set up FreeBSD boxes on San Diego's Road Runner
and @Home for Family and friends. Their is a great web page (but a
little dated) on how to get FreeBSD's DHCP client to work with your
cable modem. http://home.san.rr.com/freebsd/dhcp.html. If you have any
questions drop me a line.

Hope this helps
Ron

On Sun, 03 Oct 1999, Gary T. Corcoran was heard blurting out:

> Ben Lovett wrote:
>
> No, you're not wrong, but you can make it even simpler.  While
> @home uses DHCP to simplify the setup of Windoze boxes, they
> actually assign you a static IP address.  If you setup your Ethernet
> card with the IP address (and DNS, etc.) that they tell you on the
> sheet they give you, FreeBSD will work just fine with @home.
>
> Gary
>
> > you should just be able to hook your system up and use DHCP to get your
> > IP.. i don't believe that @Home uses a login program to authenticate
> > yourself...
> >
> > if i'm wrong, please feel free to correct me on this.
> >
> > On Sun, 3 Oct 1999, High Voltage wrote:
> >
> > >   Does anyone know where I can find info on how to set FreeBSD 3.3
> > > Stable up for a @Home connect?  I'm getting @Home installed this Friday
> > > and I'd like to be prepared.
Ron Rosson              	... and a UNIX user said ...
The InSaNe One                 		   rm -rf *
insane@oneinsane.net      	and all was null and void