Date:      Sun, 29 Apr 2001 02:15:20 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        Guilherme Oliveira <guilherme@nortenet.pt>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Realtek 8139 very slow !

> > So, where is your NIC connected to? DSL? Switch? Cross-connect cable
> > to another NIC?
>
> To another NIC.

So you should be able to use 100Mb/s full-duplex, assuming the other
NIC supports the same capabilities.
Use "100baseTX" instead of "10baseT/UTP" in the following example.

> > man ifconfig
> > man rl
>
> I didn't know that FreeBSD have man page for rl ...

That is one BIG advantage of FreeBSD. Complete, uptodate, good
manpages. Look for kernel modules for example.

> > You do this with "ifconfig". To make it permanent add  a line in
> > /etc/rc.conf .
> > I have there:
> > ifconfig_rl0="inet <MY_IP>  netmask <MY_NETMASK> media 10baseT/UTP"
> >
> > This will force half-duplex. For full-duplex you have to add the
> > "mediaopt full-duplex" term.
> I didn't know, until reading the other 8139 thread, that I have a bad
> NIC.

Actually it's not this bad. Auto-sensing often fails, so force the
correct settings. Througput isn't as near to theoretical maximums than
other NICs. Look in the source code for rl: DMA is disabled by
default, because of it's very bad implementation. Using PIO therefore
the processor load is much higher than for other NICs, of course. Me
trying to enable DMA in the source (simply an IFDEF), ended with a
non-working NIC. So it's definitely not the card for servers, but it's
o.k. for normal home use.

Ciao
Siegbert

P.S.: My previous posting had "fatal transient errors". Is your reply
address correct?