Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 2010 08:26:04 -0400
From:      Glen Barber <glen.j.barber@gmail.com>
To:        Giorgos Tsiapaliokas <terietor@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i cannot login as root

Hi,

On 6/15/10 7:15 AM, Giorgos Tsiapaliokas wrote:
> hello,
>
> my system has 2 users the user "terietor" and the root user.
>
> after a failed upgrade of my system with portmaster,i can't login as root
> but i can login as terietor.
> root was using the csh shell and terietor was using the bash shell.

Are you sure you don't have this backwards?

portmaster should not touch /bin/csh, since it is not a port - it is
part of the base system.  However, if root's shell is set to bash and
portmaster blew up upgrading that port, this would prevent you from
logging in as root, and is a good example of why not to change root's
default shell to something not in the base install.

If this is the case, and you have physical access to the machine, drop
into single-user mode and use chsh(1) to reset root's shell to /bin/csh.

Regards,

--
Glen Barber