Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 2002 22:02:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jon <cykyc@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   jail, FreeBSD 4.5 -S, IP forwarding, thoughts

How difficult would it be in -STABLE to implement the following
concept via some on/off knob?

 - if enabled, allow ip forwarding on the host system & not allow
jails to ip forward between other jails or the host system.

I would assume then the following idea would work: a jail running
on an aliased IP that has a direct route out the network would have
no way to access any non-routeable addresses outside its network on
the local host, but the host system could still forward IP
internally to/from its other networks.  While the idea could be
implemented with firewall ACL's,  it seems if the idea does work,
it would add an additional layer of network security to the jails
that is always consistent with each and every jail (if wanted).

If aliasing needs to have IP forwarding, then this idea is invalid.
 I didn't see any reference from ifconfig(8) or jail(8) man pages.
I'm no wizard w/ the source, so I didn't check.

Just a thought...

Jon