Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 09:31:29 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Coidan_Sm=F8rgrav?= <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Cisco

On Tue, Aug 04, 1998 at 01:06:09PM +0200, Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav  wrote:
> ISTR several reports of FreeBSD machines having seemingly
> unexplainable trouble talking to the outside world through a Cisco
> router, but can't seem to find anything of relevance in the list
> archives. Am I remembering correctly? The background for this question
> is that I have a FreeBSD box which seems to never respond to IGMP.

IGMP is a Cisco propriarity protocol and used for dynamic
routing between Cisco Routers. The advantage of using IGMP
or EIGMP is, that you can route IP, IPX and appletalk using
this routing protocol.

I think you only have to set a static route on the FreeBSD
client to the next hop router or you would need to run
RIPv2 (which FreeBSD and Cisco can speak) or OSPF¸ then
you would need gated on your FreeBSD machine as routing daemon.

Avoid RIPv1, it can't handle things like variable length
subnet masks ... You should make sure running RIP V2.
OSPF is probably best as interior routing protocol, but
is a bit trickier to setup.

BTW, you could use IGRP or EIGRP (which is better as IGRP)
in the Cisco backbone and redistribute RIPv2 routing information.
Cisco is able to handle multiple routing protocols, so you should be
able to get FreeBSD boxes running without static routes and such.
But you then have a little overhead by running 2 routing protocols.

--
Andreas Klemm                                http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
     What gives you 90% more speed, for example, in kernel compilation ?