Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 1996 10:45:21 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        ko-baba@kdd.co.jp
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xircom Pocket ether adapter

> Please tell me.
>
> I want to know whether Pocket ether adapter is supported by
> installer of FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE.
> It is attached PC by lp0 interface, so I thought it might be
> available at installation.

The Xircom Pocket Adapter is not supported.  There is no public
documentation for the hardware, and so there is no driver.

This is true for most parallel port hardware, like tape drives,
IOmega ZIP and Bernoulli drives, Portable CDROMs, etc..

> If not, what does the laplink indicate?
>  Is it a kind of null modem cable?

Yes; it is an 8 bit parallel "null-modem cable".  The LapLink
interface is described in detail in documentation files that
accompany DOS 6.x and above.

There is also PL/IP, a standard for making IP connections using
the parallel port (which is what the install expects).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.