Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 10:49:30 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   USB CF reader (SanDisk) epilog

Well, my initial euphoria upon seeing that the SanDisk ImageMate Compact
Flash reader is "supported" by FreeBSD has dissipated.  It seems that the CF
reader produces errors after transferring a few tens of megabytes.
Thereafter, the errors block all further access to the drive, and since
nothing can stop or clear the errors (as far as I can tell), the only way to
get out of the situation is to boot--but the only way to boot is to
power-cycle the system, since the system refuses to shut down cleanly once
this error (timeouts in umass) starts to occur.

Since booting the system for each access to the CF card is unacceptable,
especially when the system won't come down cleanly afterwards, it looks like
I'm right back where I started--and FreeBSD offers no advantage over Windows
in this respect, since it is just as defective in its reader support.

For those interested, the error messages are:

Jan 10 12:22:10 freebie /kernel: umass0: BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT
Jan 10 12:22:10 freebie /kernel: umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed,
TIMEOUT
Jan 10 12:22:40 freebie /kernel: umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed,
TIMEOUT

I looked all over the Web for help, but there was none.  As usual, the
FreeBSD archives are down, and again as usual, although many people have
encountered the same error as I have, nobody seems to have any clue as to
why the error occurs, or how to fix it.  Here again, there is obviously no
advantage to FreeBSD over Windows in this respect, and it may even be at a
disadvantage, since you can at least get answers to most questions from
Microsoft, if you pay for them.