Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 20:16:28 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        kpielorz@tdx.co.uk (Karl Pielorz)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange SCSI panic - devstat_end_transaction

Karl Pielorz wrote...
> Hi All,
>
> My box did this last night, and I was wondering if anyone could shed any light
> on it? - Unfortunately the machine was locked solid, and didn't manage to
> dump...
>
> I was newfs'ing a Vinum volume at the time - da2 is dedicated solely to /usr2,
> and is on a separate controller to all the drives used for Vinum - so I don't
> think Vinum is related...
>
> /usr2 has user home directories on it, a lightly used MySQL database - and the
> directories for the machines lightly used Apache server (i.e. it was probably
> being used at the time, but it's never thrashed).
>
> The machine is a dual P-Pro200, w/256Mb RAM running on a SuperMicro
> P6DNF/440FX motherboard. System is running -current as of 22nd March.
>
> DA2 is:
>
> da2 at ahc0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
> da2: <DEC DSP3107LS X441> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
> da2: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15), Tagged Queueing Enabled
> da2: 1021MB (2091144 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 1021C)
>
> And is running softupdates... The volume got 'mildly' trashed after this -
> fsck found ~2 errors but does seem to have recovered it without incident.
>
> I've quickly checked termination etc. for that controller - and it all appears
> fine... The contoller (ahc0) is:
>
> ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI adapter> rev 0x01 int a irq 17 on pci0.18.0
> ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
>

> Any info / rough ideas would be greatly appreciated...

The devstat warning is just a symptom of the problem, and not the real
cause of the problem.  It basically indicates that one of a couple of
things have happened:

 - a transaction has been completed twice
 - the buffer queue has been corrupted somehow (Justin said that duplicate
   buffers might do it) and we ended up getting more transaction
   completions than transaction starts.

The devstat message is informational, and won't cause any system problems,
but it does indicate some other problem.

> devstat_end_transaction: HELP!! busy_count for da2 is < 0 (-1)!
> panic: vwakeup: neg numoutput
> mp_lock = 01000001; cpuid = 1; lapic.id = 01000000
> boot() called on cpu#1

I'm not sure what the problem is, and I haven't seen this one recently.
Have you ever had the problem before?

Can you reproduce it?  i.e., if you newfs the Vinum volume again, does it
happen again?

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry