Date:      25 Feb 2003 19:35:35 -0500
From:      David Magda <dmagda@magda.ca>
To:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ntp broadcast mode

Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au> writes:
[...]
> I run ntp with "ntp -dddd -n -b -p <pidfile> -f <driftfile>" (with
> no ntp.conf file) and I see in the ntp debug that it is reading the
> broadcast NTP packet.
[...]

Assuming you meant "ntpd..." as there is no 'ntp' command.

> "What we have here is a failure to associate!"
>
> [Both machines are recent 4-Stable, sometime after 4.7R, tho I also
> fail to associate with a Solaris client.]
>
> Any clues?

How long do you wait for it to associate?

I have ntpd(8) setup to syncronize to about five Stratum 2 servers,
and association takes about 3-4 minutes. Then it takes a little
longer to actually start getting good convergence on the "correct"
time.

You may also want to ask in comp.protocols.time.ntp -- the authors of
the NTP hang out there.

--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>