Date:      Mon, 25 May 1998 05:21:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dave <dave@gregory.dyn.ml.org>
To:        CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail connections refused

On Mon, 25 May 1998, CyberPeasant wrote:

> Dave wrote:
> > After a physical network problem at a different location,
> > I temporarily moved my server home and I am connected to
> > the internet via modem through sprint. I have done this before
> > without any problem, but now all outgoing mail is having
> > delivery problems due to refused connections:
> >
> > May 24 23:38:28 webify sendmail[6125]: MAA02719:
> > to=majordomo@freebsd.org,
> > ctladdr=hounddog (1001/1001), delay=11:20:48, xdelay=00:00:47,
> > mailer=esmtp, relay=hub.freebsd.org. [204.216.27.18],
> > stat=Deferred:
> > Connection refused by hub.freebsd.org.
> >
> > With all the hassles of reconfiguring everything, I may be
> > overlooking something obvious. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Well, it's possible that hub.f.o was busy.

It's happening with all my outgoing mail at all times, giving a message
just like the one above. Incoming mail is fine.

from my box:
%telnet snybufaf 25
Trying 136.183.139.17...

from this box, with a similar setup (different ISP):
gregory %telnet 136.183.139.17 25
Trying 136.183.139.17...
Connected to 136.183.139.17.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 snybufaf Sendmail 5.65v3.2 (1.1.3.6) Mon, 25 May 1998 09:49:36 -0400

Telnet (to port 23), ftp, http, finger etc. to machines rejecting a port
25 connection works normally.

Neither one of these machines will reverse lookup, and the only difference
between my setup here and my setup at work is that I'm going through
sprint now: I was using a .dyn.ml.org address at work (a college).

> It may be, however, that the host's sendmail still thinks that it has
> the name and IPA that it has at work. But at home, the rest of
> the world thinks it is the IPA that it has from sprint. I assume
> these are different.
>
> Many overly-anal sendmails will reject connections that appear
> to come from an IPA-spoofing host -- it figures you're a spammer
> or badboy. Do the bounce messages give more hints?  Does /any/
> mail at all get through?

None of these hosts reject the machine I'm on now, and as far as I can
tell there is no difference between the configuration of this one and
mine. Like I said, the only difference between my setup a few days ago
and my setup now is that I'm using sprint for my internet connection. I'm
beginning to wonder if they are using anti-spam measures that prevent me
from sending outgoing mail from my box.

> --
>         Is the true purpose of Unix its use, or its administration?

Dig the sig :)