Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:35:50 -0800
From:      "Kutulu" <kutulu@kutulu.org>
To:        "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, "Anders Andersson" <anders@hack.org>
Cc:        "Jordan Hubbard" <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>, "Dallas De Atley" <deatley@apple.com>, <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: __P macro question

From: "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 4:20 PM

> The bottom line is that the policy is *already* to not put
> it in to new code, and to use prototypes instead, rendering
> new code non-portable to older platforms and uncompilable
> by older tool chains.

> I fear that yielding to full dependency on a single tool
> chain is not a good idea for the long term.

I am by no means a FreeBSd hacker, just an interested observer, so please
don't take this question as anything other than curiosity.

I generally understand the reason for/against using the prototype-hiding
macro.  However, your (Terry's) position repeatedly argues for keeping this
in code to avoid being dependant on GCC.  Is GCC the only UNIX compiler that
can compile code with prototypes?  Isn't that an ANSI standard requirement,
not a gcc-ism?  I have never used any compiler other than gcc and some
Borland stuff, so I really don't know the answer, but it seems to me that
anyone, like myself, coming into UNIX development at this point in time
would expect *some* ANSI-enabled compiler to be around for any platform,
wether the GNU people wrote it or not.

Is this a stupid assumption to make?

--Mike