Date:      Sun, 30 Nov 2003 21:17:10 -0800
From:      K Anderson <freebsduser@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 100 MHz pentium: can that play avi-file movies?

Rob wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 100 MHz pentium with up-to-date FreeBSD-stable;
> would that allow me to play avi-file movies with mplayer
> or equivalent media player?
>
> Videocard is a Riva TNT2 with 16 Mb.
>
> Thanks,
> Rob.
To many unknowns.

I have a dual p200 with around 196 meg of ram and the usual services
running and I would get coughs and sputters on and off. Also mplayer
will let you know if your system is slow when you play it. If it does
work unacceptably then maybe shutdown some services, use a window
manager that uses low resources. You might be able to use the svga (or
what ever that driver is called) driver so that you don't have to use X.
Another tip might be to burn the AVI to CD or a file system that is not
part of the primary HD so that you don't have bottle necks with swap
files and other stuffs during the IO process.

Oh, and I have a Riva TNT with maybe 16 meg of RAM.