Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2000 18:40:09 -0500
From:      Mark Hendriks <markh@lon.imag.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        a.genkin@utoronto.ca
Subject:   Re: [repost] Modem configuration troubles under 3.4-S

Your modem really doesn't need a whole lot of "configuration".  From a
software point of view, a modem is a pretty simple device.  As long as it
uses the standard AT commands, the only other things the software would
need to know are the port and irq numbers.  If your modem doesn't work,
there's a good chance it's hardware related.

On Mon, 07 Feb 2000, Arcady Genkin wrote:
> And, lastly, I tried installing mgetty+sendfax, and sendfax complains:
> ,----
> | sendfax -v -m ATF -M 7200 9056779381 dhl_fax.g3
> | Trying fax device '/dev/cuaa2'... OK.
> | sendfax: cannot set serial port speed 38000 on "cuaa2"
> `----

I'd say that this is where the problem actually lies - your serial port
isn't being set to the proper speed.  Based on what you describe, you
serial port is being set to a speed *much* lower than 38000.

Unfortunately, as to why your modem would act this way, I really have no
idea.

Mark Hendriks
markh@lon.imag.net