Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:04:12 -0600
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: seeking recommendation on ATA RAID controller

>I have used the Adaptec 2400A Raid card with FreeBSD, and have never had
>any problems.

FreeBSD 4.7?  There was a complaint in -questions in Dec about the card
messing up under stress.  I didn't see any resolution.

How intensive is your disk i/o?

How big is the cache chip, full 128 Mb?

How does RAID1 hot-mirroring and/or hot-swap work?

Which hot-swap drawers do you use, if any?

We're looking for a caching ATA133 controller for high-volume MX gateways,
"output cannons",  30 to 60k / msgs hour (postfix).  The biggest problem
with the 2400A is it full-length will fit in very few 1U or 2U cases, even
with the handle removed.

We'd prefer the Promise SX4000, shorter, cheaper, 256 Mb cache, but Promise
won't support FreeBSD with their own driver or tech docs for outside driver
development.

Len