Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 16:38:28 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Better printing from the command-line

I've setup LPD printing to a remote HP Laserjet (using a DirectJet
card) on a 4.3-STABLE box.  And it works fine in all the basic ways.

However I'd like to do some *rudimentary* jazzing up of the
printouts, ie something as simple as setting the font to 12-pitch
instead of 10-pitch so that certain manpages and text documents
don't end up with truncated lines.

Even though I'm using the "magicfilter" port which has a specific
filter for the HP Laserjet, it doesn't appear to have any settings
which can do something as simple as change the font pitch.  I hear
good things about the "APSfilter" port but that appears to require X,
which I don't usually run.

Is there any other kind of utility with a few basic built-in switches
to do minor formatting on a Laserjet 4MPlus?  This printer supports
Postscript too but it would seem simpler to just use PCL commands. I
hope I don't end up having to write my own scripts just to send
commands to the printer..

Thanks,

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium