Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 21:01:21 +0000
From:      Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        Georg Auernhammer <rusisnoc@helpdesk.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: scanning docs into pdf format

On Sat, 16 Mar 2002 01:43:53 +0100
Georg Auernhammer <rusisnoc@helpdesk.rus.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> > I get to set up a second pc at work and will be putting FreeBSD on
> > it. I am wondering if anyone is using FreeBSD for this type of work
> > - scanning printed documents (up to 150pages) then creating pdf
> > files of them? I have to do this quite a lot,
> > user/operator/instruction manuals. Currently I use NT and Acrobat
> > with my HP scsi scanner. So, the bottom line is - will doing this on
> > FreeBSD be any easier or harder than on NT? What are the trade-offs?
> > I don't want to make my job any harder just for the sake of using a
> > differant OS, you know what I mean?
>
> I'm scanning pics (lots) with sane,

On FreeBSD I assume.

> edit them with Photoshop

In Windblows?
Or Gimp in FreeBSD?

> and process them with a latex2pdf script

Again, in FreeBSD, right?

> But the PDF's are really big, just as PS.
> so i have to send them again through the Adobe Destiller, to get small
> files.

Distiller on Windoze? or is there a version for FreeBSD?

> non-Editing and just-Postsrcipting would be made on FreeBSD.
> But everything else..buy a MAC
> ;))

Yeah, I guess it comes down to use the right tool for the job. I'd like
to be able to use FreeBSD for this job if possible, otherwise I'll just
stick with NT for this work, and use FreeBSD for other work.

--
Chip