Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 23:12:34 -0500
From:      John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DNS Setup

Hey all,

I set up a local (publically accessible) name server, got a friend to do
secondary for me, and registered several domains.  For some reason,
whenever peopel try to send me test messages, they come back as "host
unknown".  If the same users try to ping my boxen, or use web access to
them, they resolve no problem.  Only mail comes back as "host unknown".

I have sendmail allowed in /etc/hosts.allow.  I have mx records in all the
name databases.  I have O'Reilly's sendmail book on order, and it should be
here tomorrow :)  Any other places I should start looking? Does DNS have to
be expressly permitted in /etc/hosts.allow?  This makes no sense since i
can be pinged and looked up?

Thanks in advance,
John