Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 1996 11:50:52 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Sociedade Brasileira de Quimica/Admin <sbqadm@sbq.org.br>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI Question

>Hello
>	We have 4 servers and I'm having a little problem installing
>2.1.0 in some of them:
>
>server 2) P100 wiht on board NCR SCSI adaptor, installed without problems
>but after reboot the message "Missing Operating System". Back to the
>boot.flp and forcing (W)rite in fdisk made it work

This is a geometry problem, but I can't tell you the proper geometry
for these controllers.  Perhaps Stephan knows.  You can always create
a partition using DOS fdisk, and the FreeBSD installer will use those
values when creating partitions during install (you can even delete
the DOS partition during the FreeBSD install -- its only needed to
grab the geometry from).

>server 3) P90 IBM with Adaptec 2942/W and IBM 1G HD, after some fight
>against the geometry installed fine but, again "Missing Operating System"
>and I have found no way to make it boot from the HD. I need to use
>the floppy and boot sd(0,a)/kernel instead

Again, a geometry problem.  The proper geometry to use is the controller's
translated geometry.  For the 27/28/'294x cards, this is:

Extended translation enabled in SCSI-Select:
	If the disk is > 1gig, 255 Heads/63 Sectors per track/#MB reported
							     by disk probe/7
							     cylinders

	     example. A 2100MB disk would take 25/64/300 in the G)eometry box
	If the disk is <= 1gig, same as with Extended translation disabled

Extended translation disabled:
	64 heads/32 sectors per track/#MB reported by disk probe cylinders

	example.  A 500MB disk would take 64/32/500 in the G)eometry box.
		  A 1200MB disk would take 64/32/1200 in the G)eometry box.

You will have to re-install to correct the problem.

>server 4) The worst case :-(, this is an old DEC 486Dx/33 server with an
>Adaptec 1742 controller and two (450M sd0, 1.1G sd1) hard disks.
>This computer is running FreeBSD since 1.0 and I never had problems
>installing FreeBSD on it, yesterday I upgraded it from 2.0-pre-2.0.5-snap
>to 2.1.0 and I got the evil "Missing Operating System" again!
>I've tried all ways to make it bootable but as server (3) I need to
>boot using the floppy.

Same as for the 27/28/294X except some versions of the 1742 don't have
an extended translation mode.

>We can't stop the server (4) and it is running this way, I would
>like very much to correct the problem without reinstalling it.

You'll have to in order to correct the problem.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations