Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 10:06:09 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Pankaj <pankaj@sarai.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make in freebsd

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 09:34:50AM +0100, Pankaj wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 February 2002 13:23, Erik Trulsson wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > No, it is a feature of the makefiles. 'Make' itself doesn't know
> > anything about fetching sources and so on.
> > Most of the dirty work is done in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk which is
> > included by the port makefiles.
>
> which means I can safely use a similar makefile and have it *nix specific
> and also download what i need automatically. I may be asking dumb questions
> cuz i dont know anything about Makefiles I better go  RTFM <-- any links

One potential problem is that 'make' on different platforms can differ
in many details.
Some of the features of BSD make that are used by the portmakefiles for
example are not supported by GNU make (which is used on Linux) GNU make
OTOH supports some things not in BSD make.

Writing complicated makefiles that are portable between different
'make' implementations is a non-trivial task.

> ThanX
>  --
>  regards
>  Pankaj