Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 1996 22:58:58 +0100 (BST)
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   amanda port, amdump, and wacky shell scripts

How do,

Could someone who's got 'amanda' from the ports collection working please
explain the magic incantations that are necessary over the amdump script?

After installing amanda, configuring servers and clients and labelling
tapes, I'm ready to go with my backup. Unfortunately, 'amdump' isn't.

It appears to be a particularly wacky example of shell script programming
(an awful lot of apparenly superfluous whitespace, amongst other things).

The first error was

    PATH=/usr/local/libexec/amanda: Command not found.
    Bad : modifier in $ (/).

which is fixed by changing a PATH=$PATH:/... line to PATH=${PATH}:/....

But now it's dying with

    PATH=/usr/local/libexec/amanda: Command not found.
    PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/bin
    :/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin:
    Command not found.
    export: Command not found.
    confdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda: Command not found.
    execdir=/usr/local/libexec/amanda: Command not found.
    suf=: Command not found.
    if: Expression Syntax.

Which is somewhat odd, to say the least. Presumably someone, somewhere has
got this working? I've poked through the mailing list archives, which
mention the $PATH problem above, but nothing further.

FWIW, this is on a -stable system (built before the recent problems, with
amanda 2.2.6.5, supped from ports yesterday, and an HP HP35480A DDS
drive.

Cheers,

--+=[ Blueberry Hill                   Blueberry Design                   ]=+--
--+=[ http://www.blueberry.co.uk/      1/9 Chelsea Harbour Design Centre, ]=+--
--+=[ WebMaster@blueberry.co.uk        London, England, SW10 0XE          ]=+--
--+=[ I'm a 'control' freak.                 But I quite like 'meta' too. ]ENTP