Date:      Thu, 04 Sep 1997 04:37:15 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Khetan Gajjar <khetan@iafrica.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD gets a favorable review

> FreeBSD 2.2.2 got quite a good review (imho).

True, though we still got our butts kicked in a performance comparison
which some folks feel we should have and could have won had it not
been for some poor out-of-box defaults not to mention the fact that,
as David noted to me this evening, the reviewers may have been using a
machine with >64MB of memory and, since FreeBSD currently does not
size the memory in such configurations properly, the benchmarks may
well have been run in half the memory that the other OSes were using
(which would explain the sharp fall-off in performance as the FreeBSD
machine began paging).

David may have a solution for the 64MB sizing problem in any case and
I'm testing some patches from him now.  Even if this wasn't an factor
in Sean Fulton's benchmark results, it could easily be in some future
review!

					Jordan