Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:55:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, Jambi <bigj@nlanr.net>
Subject:   Re: Fiber Channel.

Matthew Jacob, On 25-Aug-98 you wrote:

>  The Qlogic Fibre Channel card (2100) is mostly supported- it's the
>  same driver as the SCSI driver. It's fabric support is minimal
>  (uh, not there yet) right now, but a plain loop or a PLDA seems to work
>  as
>  long as nothing complicated in terms of PLOGI parameters seems to be
>  expected.
>
>  I don't know the PM2554UWF, although if someone got me one and specs
>  for it, I'd likely do a driver for it.

I am already working on it.  It is an i2o based controller, and that raises
several issues; FreeBSD declared decision not to do anything in i20 is one
of the issues.  I2o licensing is another.  The driver will be ready in a
couple of months.

>  I'm also planning to do the Adaptec F9{4,5}0 sooner or later.
>
>  On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Jambi wrote:
>
> > Hey all,
> >    We are thinking about building a little data crunching farm which
> >    will
> > be a whole bunch of FreeBSD machines.  We were offered a fiber channel
> > controller as our current problem is in IO (having to parse serially
> > huge
> > network dumps...what a pain).  I was looking around the FreeBSD FAQ etc
> > and could find no reference to a supported Fiber Channel controllers.
> > Question: Does the DPT PM2554UWF have support in the FreeBSD kernel?
> > Is
> > CAM supporting it?
> >
> > 10x
> > Jambi
>  with "unsubscribe freebsd-scsi" in the body of the message

Sincerely Yours,                 Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG
                                             770.265.7340
Simon Shapiro