Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 22:36:57 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Andrew W. Smith" <awsmith@rip.ops.neosoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 16 bit int for interface "reference count"

>>From the NANOG list ... has this been patched in FreeBSD before
>I again start pumping a full table into one of my boxen?
>
>---------------
>
>Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 09:29:50 +0100
>From: Peter Galbavy <Peter.Galbavy@knowledge.com>
>Subject: Re: The Cidr Report
>
>On the subject of the general number of routes increasing, has
>everyone involved in the development or maintainence of their routers
>checked that the 2^16 (65536) limit is not going to hit them.
>
>I know that for those using PC routers, like my old colleagues at
>Demon, it is important that you make sure that your OS is upgraded
>to use a >16 bit int for a "reference count" to an interface. Andrew
>Bangs @ Demon spotted this a while back and submitted patch to the
>*BSD groups, of which I know OpenBSD has changed the reference count
>to a 32 bit.
>
>Once you add some IGP routes the 2^16 is coming up fast.

   It's hard to say if the 16bit refcnt will a real problem for Internet
routers. It might be if there is a default route, but routes don't normally
hold references to other routes. This is coming close to being an issue
on wcarchive, however, as it has a large number of TCP connections (and
each one holds a reference). In any case, it is currently 16bits in
FreeBSD and should be increased to 32bits.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com