Date:      Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:58:45 +1300
From:      Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz>
To:        Ronny Hippler <r11roadster@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hardware <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Raid Cards & mobo

Ronny Hippler wrote:

> Hello all!
> 	I am in the early stages of building a new machine to act as a file/web
> server newsgroup leacher etc. I know I want to add a raid card and was
> looking @ the PROMISE SATAII150 TX4 PCI SATA Controller Card. I am
> running 4.10 currently with a TX2 card but looking in the hardware notes
> I see only one promise card even listed for 5.4? Has all support been
> dropped from FreeBSD for promise cards? Also looking at an ASUS
> P4P800S-X anyone know if the sound(ADI AD1888 SoundMAX) and NIC(Realtek
> RTL8101L) work in 5.4? I may consider 6.x-Beta if I can get the on board
> stuff working. If none of the above are do-able I am open to suggestions
> as far as RAID & NIC cards go. I would like to do RAID0+1, and if I have
> to buy a separate NIC I would like it to be a Gigabit card.

The Promise cards are all listed using their chip numbers (like PDC20271
say, for a TX2000) in the newer man page for ata(4). This makes
identification a little more complex - since without a card to look at
it can be hard to find out the chip number! A read of
src/sys/dev/ata/ata_chipset.c *may* be helpful.

I think the card you are after uses a PDC20622 chip, and is mentioned in
  5.4-RELEASE ata_chipset.c, but not ata(4) man page - ran into this
myself concerning a SX4060.

regards

Mark