Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 16:54:10 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   md(4) crashes in current

After configuring an md in current (as of last Friday), I will later
panic. Unfortunately (or not), the kernel on this system was built
without symbols, witness, invariants, or debugger. So I built a new
kernel with all of those things and...no more panics. Makes debug a bit
difficult.

I then built a new kernel without debugging and tried again. The panics
resumed. The ONLY differences in the kernels were symbols, witness,
invariants,and debugger.

I can get a dump and I'll try building a kernel with symbols but no
WITNESS or INVARIANTS and see if that crashes.

In the mean time, has anyone else seen this?
% mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /D/file.iso -u 1
% Do some stuff which may or may not involve the md device. I normally
mount the device and later dismount it, but I have had panics without
doing anything else. Panics often come very soon after I de-configure
the device. (mdconfig -d -u 1)

I'll submit a PR if I can get enough information to put something that
looks useful.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)