Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 16:13:22 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        Fred Clift <fred@veriohosting.com>, Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: changed pci bus probe order from 3.2 to 4.0 -- ideas?

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 11:19:29 -0600, Fred Clift wrote:
> > >
> > > i suppose the only place where you use the actual card names
> > > is the firewall config and rc.conf -- can't you just make these
> > > scripts fetch the ethernet address of the card(s), set a shell
> > > variable with the name of the good card, and go ahead with that ?
> >
> > Yeah I'm about to the point of doing this for lack of other options.
> > Thanks for the sample code -- I'm sure it'll come in handy if I can solve
> > this any other way.
> >
> > The best fix would be to find a way to hard-wire which card is which in
> > the kernel config (ie fxp0 is always on pci0...) but I dont know if you
> > can do that kind of thing with pci devices.
>
> The problem is that when the new-bus code was introduced, the probe order
> was changed from a bus-by-bus probe (breadth first?) to a depth-first
> probe.
>
> i.e. as soon as another PCI bus is found (e.g. on a bridge chip) it is
> probed, rather than deferring the probe of the new bus until the probe of
> the current bus has been completed.
>
> I think Doug Rabson had plans to fix the probe order, but it never
> happened.
>
> There is no way to hardwire PCI devices, so you'll probably have to just
> change which card is referenced in your scripts.

I can see that that would be fun if I were to switch from
3.4-STABLE to 4.0-STABLE on my 7-NIC (8-port) router.  Currently they
all probe in a way that the physical layout of the cards mirrors the
logical layout.  One is a dual-port NIC with PCI bridge which would
constitute a PCI bus all by itself, then I believe there are three
separate PCI busses of three slots each for a total of 9 PCI slots (or
it could be 4x2 and 1x1).  I can just imagine a physical to logical
mapping nightmare of 2-3-4-7-8-9-1-2-3 now. :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )